I feel like we have been in a whirlwind! The three older children had two weeks of swimming lessons, and they all finished up the summer reading program at the library. Then we ran the Clan Gunn tent at the Detroit Highland Games. (Of course I discovered a few days, beforehand, that Thomas outgrew his kilt.... so I quickly had to make George a new one, and moved everyone else up a size.) The St. Andrew's Society continues to impress me with how they've developed their children's area. Besides crafty things for the kids to do (shield painting, crowns, mask making), there are games (golf, sack racing, cricket, caber toss, catapults), and there is the Highland Charge and marching with the 42nd Highlander Regiment. Oh, and "Nessie" shows up from time to time. The kids also enjoy the bagpipes, the army vehicles, the dog demonstrations, the highland cattle, and more that I cannot remember. And, kids under 12 are free. They have really made it so the next generation wants to come. I give them a lot of credit.
This year, my mom, dad, and Michael came. My dad watched the tent while we marched. My mom and Michael stayed longer to help with the kids. Michael hung out until we tore down the tent, and then he checked out the bands that were playing into the evening. Only, he didn't check out when the last shuttle bus was, so he had to walk a couple miles to his car, later at night.
Here are some pictures from there.
Peter leading the Highland Charge, with George on his heels.

Fred stabbing a Red Coat (he was supposed to just "tap" the dummy.)

Our family at the tent. (We did have a lot of other Gunn members show up, which was nice, too.)

"Oh, this is so fun!"
No comments:
Post a Comment