Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Events

On Friday, the kids' school put on their annual Memorial Day program where all the kids march in a parade, and sing patriotic songs. (There are also speeches, and they honor American veterans.) Each year is a little different. I really liked that this year, they added the official songs for each branch of the armed forces. I will admit, by the time they did "Anchors Aweigh", I was in tears. I love their school for doing this program. As it was Margie's first year, she was super excited. She and Peter were singing the patriotic songs around the house, for weeks. Also, this weekend, we decorated veteran's graves with flags at the cemetery. (with the Cub Scouts... another reason I love the Scouts. Where else would you get to do this?) That was actually more work than I imagined (Jim took the kids, last year). Besides that, we did some barbecuing, and got some nice visits in with Uncles Mike and George. We missed Ojko Nikolaj... the only time he was free was when we were trying to clean the house and get a bunch of work done. Here are some photos from the weekend:



































And here is Peter, on the right (they both wore patriotic shirts):
















Thomas, giving his famous, "Pirate Eye". His Godmother sent him that shirt: "Made in the USA", just in time!













Fred and George, relaxing. George has his "USA" shirt on. (We learned, after the first year, that we needed to bring chairs. And snacks help, too. The program is about an hour and a half.)












Oh, and this is "Clarice". She came, too. (George took this photo.)





















Thomas gets another picture. For the record, we found we had a Red Wings shirt for him, afterall.








No comments: